Monday, April 21, 2014

Black Belt Life Skill: Self-Control


One black belt life skill is self control. To me, self control is when you control your feelings. If you don't control your feelings you may start some physical action. You could also start some distraction for others or yourself, or you could make people feel bad about something.

I have shown self control by controlling my temper when I get mad at my sister. To stay calm, I tell myself that if I get angry I might lose temper and hit my sister and she could get hurt.

Another way I have shown self control is when I controlled my excitement during my bodan belt test. I did not want to distract the other testers, audience or judges. I kept my mind on remembering what I needed for my test, like my poomsae.

Sometimes I distract myself with my feelings for example, excitement. One time I distracted myself while I was doing homework on the computer. I distracted myself with nosiness because I wanted to know what my sister was doing on the iPad. I used self control and told myself that if I wanted to have playtime before I had to eat I needed to get my work done.

I have also shown self control when I was told that my classmate had invited me to a birthday party but I will be in Atlanta at a tournament. I felt very disappointed that I couldn't go the party, but I controlled my disappointment by realizing that my classmate will have another birthday next year and I could go to that birthday party.

I hope you use self control too!

7 comments:

  1. Kat, thank you for shaing ways that you show self control. Practicing these skills will provide rewards throughout your whole life. I continue to try to succeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. barbegoodman@gmail.comApril 22, 2014 at 1:01 PM

    Sometimes being very enthusiastic also requires self control. If someone is shy but wants to show others that they are excited about something, they may need to use self control to be obviously excited. This is useful for people who are trying to be models for others like teachers. This comment is from Kathy Florini Pettiss's college roommate Barb Eason Goodman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat, a person with self control can do anything. And I mean that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat - self control is something many people need to learn. Kudos to you for practicing in so many ways.
    Ann Ortenzi (sorry - I don't have a Google account so I had to be anonymous for comments)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely enjoyed reading your blog. Each one of the examples of self control that you've described suggests that you are a thoughtful and caring young lady. Your words have reminded all of us how often we need to exercise self control.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kat,
    Please don't confuse controlling your feelings with controlling what you do and how you act when you're feeling an emotion. Better to admit you are angry than to try to "control" that anger by denying you feel anger. For mental health, feelings should not be denied or repressed, but rather accepted and then transcended by focus on the larger clearer picture of the many other things happening around you. A good black belt will not avoid feeling emotions, but will not let them interfere with well-controlled action, either. Know how you feel, and feel it well; then act with care and attention. Control is good only if you know and accept your feelings.
    Love,
    Uncle James

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kat,
    Nicely written. Self control is a life-long practice and it sounds like you have a good grasp on how to relate with others. However, remember that even when you control so well, if you want others to know how you feel don't keep it to yourself. Sharing your feelings is a good thing especially in a "controlled" manner. Good luck in your quest for the Black Belt.
    Sincerely,
    Mike Werley(Conestoga Fencing)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love any comments and feedback you have! Comments won't post right away - my mom reads all the comments before publishing them. :)

Thanks for reading!